Trip Countdown Calendar – Planning Ahead
Here’s some guidelines that may help you plan your trip! Download PDF if you want a printed copy!
1 year – 6 months prior to departure:
6 months – 4 months prior to departure:
- Fill in any gaps in your itinerary. The best places fill up early especially in popular tourist destinations.
- Sign up for any special tours …even day tours.
4 months – 2 months:
- Find a house or pet sitter as required.
- Confirm home airport transport plans – round trip.
- Decide on which credit cards you will use. No foreign currency fees.
- Order a “travel” debit card. (Money)
- Decide on shoes to bring and break them in.
- Purchase any travel gear such as baggage straps, suitcase ties, laundry line. Adapters & converters.
2 months – 1 month:
- Download any school activities (Education) and language cards (Language).
- Download or prepare to stream any movies made at your destination. Bring instructions to bring.
- Inquire about international plans for cell phones. Roaming plan?
- Download trivia and jokes and games for your destination. (Fun Facts).
- List clothes to take. Utilize layers and accessories. Buy everyone new socks to take.
- Make toiletries lists for cosmetic bags or shaving kits.
4 weeks – 2 weeks
- Scan any documents and upload them to the Cloud. Emergency access anywhere.
- Review auto and health insurance coverage for travel.
- Hard look at your itinerary looking for mistakes. Print confirmations.
- Decide on which baggage pieces each person is taking. Attach luggage ID tags.
- Prepare small kits for each person’s electronics. Extra long cables. Chargers. Ear buds.
- Purchase any children’s medications you need. Refill prescriptions. Orthodontist appts.
- Prepare travel size cosmetics. New travel toothbrushes.
- Download reading material.
- Add nametags to all baggage.
- Pay any bills that will come due while you are gone.
- Prepare list of treats and surprises for kids on flight. (age appropriate)
- Prepare 3-1-1 TSA quart-size carry-on Zip Lock bags for each person.
- Make salon or barber appointments for week before you go as necessary.
- Find any confirmation emails from past and forward them to yourself again so they are not buried.
- Distribute suitcases and begin packing. Do laundry. Forbid family to wear what they are bringing!
- Hand out new socks for everyone!
- Make little baggies of plane snacks for kids. Granola, M&Ms, little games and puzzle books.
- Distribute copies of itinerary to family, friends.
- Go to hairdresser.
- Begin packing 3 days before departure so you have everything on your list ready to go!